How do Ortho-K lenses work?
The cornea is a clear, dome-shaped window in the front of your eye that focuses light onto the retina and is responsible for most of the eye’s ability to focus. With Ortho-K vision technology, fully customized contact lenses are made to fit the exact shape of your eyes. As you sleep, your eyelid and the lens place gentle pressure on your cornea, it uses the forces of the tear fluid beneath the lens to reshape the cornea into a similar shape as the back of the lens design. For treatment of myopia, the lens produces a flatter central cornea and steepens the peripheral cornea, correcting short-sightedness by decreasing the power of the eye. The molding process is done by a precise, pre-determined treatment amount calculated using sophisticated 3D modelling of your eye shape.
Our corneal topographer precisely measures 102,000 individual points on your cornea, as unique as your fingerprint, to assist us in designing Ortho-K lenses that are uniquely yours. The machine doesn’t touch your eye, and there is no pain.
Improvements in vision can usually be seen the next day, with the procedure stabilizing after generally one week. With high minus powers (myopia over -5.00D) the procedure takes two to four weeks to stabilize. Orthokeratology does not make any permanent changes to the eye surface. Your eyes will revert to their former state within one to four weeks if you stop using the lenses.
Who Can Benefit From Ortho-K?
FDA/HEALTH CANADA APPROVED FOR CHILDREN AND ADULTS
They are the perfect solution for patients who:
- Want a lens-free lifestyle during the day
- Find soft contacts too irritating
- Are too young for LASIK or are not a LASIK candidate
How can Ortho-K benefit my child with myopia?
- Good vision all day. Perform better at school, playing sport and other activities.
- Helps stabilize eyesight. Prevents significantly worsening vision year after year.
- Healthier eyes for life. Reduce the risks of eye diseases and blindness.
- Cost effective. Avoid thick and expensive high-index glasses over a lifetime.
- No more worrying about breaking or losing glasses at school.
- Easier to handle, insert & remove than regular soft contact lenses.
- A happier child. Good vision can boost their confidence and self esteem.